Friday 9 October 2009

Day The Ninth. Cephalopods.

Yesterday I missed International Cephalopod Awareness Day, and I am very sad.
Today I will try & make up for it.

Being a mermaid, of course, a day rarely goes by that I'm not aware of cephalopods, especially with prostrating myself to Dread Cthulhu and all.



Also there is Roger, who lives by my bed.



And Cutty the Cuttlefish who I crocheted for my husband's birthday this year.



And Squidge the Squid, for last year's Ravelympics.



Κεφαλόποδα is pretty much my favorite class of mollusc. I do love gastropods, but that's a whole 'nother day. The whole phylum readily lends themselves to crochet and other crafts. Octopuses are MASSIVELY intelligent. Cuttlefish are one of the most hypnotizing animals to watch, with their awesome chromatophores. I have a far-off dream of dyeing yarn with squid ink one day. And I have vowed that one day I will have a pet Vampire Squid.

I will call him Bela.

So today, be aware of a cephalopod. It's really all they ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment