Monday 26 April 2010

Knitting & Crochet Blog Week. Day The First.



Starting Out
How and when did you begin knitting/crocheting? was it a skill passed down through generations of your family, or something you learned from Knitting For Dummies? What or who made you pick up the needles/hook for the first time? Was it the celebrity knitting ‘trend’ or your great aunt Hilda?

Both knitting & crocheting were definitely passed down to me, even though I mostly taught the basics to myself. My mom & grama helped a lot with various specific techniques later on, but I started both somewhere around my first year of college, 1999-2000, pretty much on my own with learn-to-knit kits. I don't remember a reason, in particular, other than I like having something to do. I am bad at sitting still. It was something my grama enjoyed then and still enjoys, my mom *can* do both, but doesn't. :D They'd just both made such pretty things in the past that were always present in my life both on and around me, and I wanted to get in on that action myself.

The first thing I ever knit was a rectangle. Surprise, surprise. But it was a rectangle that turned into a perfectly functional and stylish hat with some creative seaming. I soon thereafter knit a matching scarf, and I was just off and running from there. I can do all sorts of complicated, scary stuff now that I would never have dreamed of a decade ago.

I'm in a bit of a bad patch right now, depression-wise, and I am having trouble today working up the motivation to work on any of the bazilliondy WIPs I've got going.

I think, however, I will work on my hooded scarf that I'm doing in very bright, cheerful stripes, and is going very fast, so will give me a lovely sense of instant gratification.


Also at the moment I'm working on a Saroyan in 2 shades of pink Mmmmmalabrigo that I am just adoring and also looks like Bagpuss.
+  =


Oh, PS: If you're on Rav & want to get in on the discussery and talkification about this week, here is the thread: http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/the-blog-hub/1091603

No comments:

Post a Comment