Sunday 31 January 2010

BPAL of the day: Lambs-Wool & a meme

According to William Shepard Walsh, the Gentleman's Magazine for May of 1784 stated, "this is a constant ingredient at merrymaking on Holy Eve." He also quotes Vallancey's etymological speculation: "The first day of November was dedicated to the angel presiding over fruits, seeds, etc., and was therefore named La Mas Ubhal, -- that is, the day of the apple fruit, -- and being pronounced Lamasool, the English have corrupted the name to Lambs-wool."

A popular holy day beverage in 18th century Ireland: roasted apples mashed into warmed milk and ale, with nutmeg, sugar, ginger, and clove.

OMNOMNOM. You know those year-round Christmas stores in little tourist towns? Yes, yes, YES!!!!
Apples, at first. Juicy, amazing, RED RED RED apples with cinnamon. Then a little bit of the ale comes through. Delicious. Absolutely gorgeous, I could eat myself. Can't-hardly-smell-anything-husband even loves it. It's the kind of thing I would put on in August when I'm pining for the holidays. I adore it and kind of wish the milkiness came out on me, but it just doesn't. It's terribly comforting, nonetheless. I'm massively menstrual today, along with attendant emotional crashes that come when you're trying to conceive and your period not only comes, but comes early.... So this is just exactly what I need today. Wrapped in familliar, comforting scents and in a sandwich of hot water bottles.

There may even be some Disney involved later today. ::sigh::

I'm just not feeling it today, y'all.
Have a meme, on the house.



I say ... and you think ... ?

1. Furniture :: polish
2. Beauty ::
beast
3. Sip ::
tea
4. Block ::
spammers
5. Forehead ::
smack
6. Championship ::
belt
7. Hurl ::
puke
8. Whip ::
chains
9. Destruction ::
kitty
10. Leather ::
fetish

No comments:

Post a Comment